More voices:
It’s interesting to hold an opposite position from nearly everyone you know. Especially about something politically divisive. Everyone assumes you think like they do, lots of offensive stuff gets emailed and linked, people nudge you about things and expect something other than a blank stare.
This is a snippet of an entry from Joe Maller’s blog (click through to read in its entirety). I know Joe vaguely in the sense our orbits have intersected occasionally - I worked with his wife. I can’t say I’ve really had an extensive, soul-baring conversation with Joe when we have bumped into each other, but reading his thoughts on his blog, he strikes me as a smart and fair-minded guy. His entry got me thinking about what I had written awhile back, ostensibly the increasing tendency to be dismissive of views not in agreement with our own.
I can’t say I know Joe’s opinions and wouldn’t presume to speak for the him but, his point reminded me of experiences I have had: being in a room full of people when the topic of discussion has turned to the events of the day (and the players), knowing speaking up with an opposing voice wouldn’t be the best thing for the ’ole career or another instance when I got an email from someone which begat to a series of emails ending that friendship.
The email concerned the 2004 election and it struck me out of left field but, the assumption of the person who sent it was, I would agree with the sentiments expressed wholeheartedly. When I didn’t and when I pointed out to the person I didn’t (asking not to receive further emails of this kind), the trouble began and what followed was volleys of emails going back and forth with of increasing intensity. I was tweaking the guy after a point. Truthfully, I knew he felt strongly but, I was disappointed in him, disappointed because he didn’t leave any room to disagree. While I liked him as a person (and he’s a good guy), I also knew to stay friends would mean journeying into the realm of the blank stare regularly. Spending far too much time there already, I can say I wasn’t as interested in increasing my stay so, there went that friendship.
I would have much rather bought him a drink and been able to disagree - which is the way Joe might have handled it. If I see Joe sometime down the road I’ll probably take him up on his invitation to buy him a beer or two because even if I don’t agree with the guy (and in some ways I’m sure I will) - at least he’ll be open minded enough to have a discussion and there aren’t enough people out there these days even willing to do that.
Of course, being a happy drunk helps too.
No comments:
Post a Comment